Does ECMAScript 2020 and higher remove the concept of "Named Job Queues"?

Does ECMAScript 2020 and higher remove the concept of "Named Job Queues"? Because I see that in the specification there is no reference about any type of Job Queue, just about some abstract operations to enqueue jobs to the host, or is what I think it does.

Yes, see https://github.com/tc39/ecma262/pull/1597.

Then I think that is more confusing, bcs the later specs where Named Job Queues exist you know what order the engine will follow on the code execution, now you need to look at how every engine works or handles these jobs. I think that this change is better for the engines but not for the standard itself.

In practice it is generally sufficient to refer to the HTML standard's definitions for the various Job-related host hooks if the invariants in the JS specification aren't sufficient for your purposes.

The previous definitions did not correspond well to what actually happened, including some underspecification of ordering as well as some unused-in-practice sections of the specification. See this issue, this PR, and this discussion as well as the slides linked therein.

1 Like