Multi-lingual discussion on discourse

This was raised in the website repo: https://github.com/tc39/tc39.github.io/issues/218#issuecomment-731215190

Is there a way we could make discourse a place where people can discuss JS in multiple languages?

cc @aki and @littledan

2 Likes

pinging @aki on this as I have no idea how this would be done...

Hi! Acknowledging I've seen this, still looking into it so don't have a useful response just yet. It's a great idea and I can't wait to see if we can make this work.

I'll come back with news or more likely sooner, like when I'm ready to ask for help. :kissing_heart:

I reached out to Discourse support (thanks, Discourse support!) and they recommended taking a look at a few other sites that have implemented some form of multilingual communication in different ways, and seeing if any of those work for us.

(On a related/un-related note (new meta thread, for sure) I'd love to add more information to the / of this site.)

I'm not sure there is a plugin that could help us really? Not sure if anyone has any specific functionality in mind.

Oh neat, I received a follow-up on my question to Discourse, they provided this link cultivating a multi-lingual community: How to structure a multilingual community

1 Like

That looks like what we want... What do you think?

That certainly looks good, but I think we need to organise the something to set up an instance.
For example, what prerequisites are required to set up an instance? Do you really plan to set up and manage instances of all languages without prerequisites? Or is it a prerequisite to have a delegate that can take care of it? Is it when there are requests from more than 100 people?
I would definitely love to push this idea forward, but it's also worth having a concrete plan to make it work well.